I am Cait

I have been watching "I am Cait", for obvious reasons. There are a lot of good things in this show, it shows more than anything that a rich Olympian also has issues with feeling comfortable, with being who they are. I understand when she says that she doesn't want to be a transgender, she just wants to be a girl. There are a lot of good perspectives on the show, and it is easy to think that these changes are possible even if you are older.

However, there are a lot of things that I don't agree with, being a person I have my own opinions, such as the cis-dissing. (I think I just made that word up, Cis-Dis. Please give me credit if I totally made that up.) Not being attracted to someone you know is transgender is not anyone's problem, it is not a choice, it is just how they feel and it is legitimate. We all want to be accepted for who we are, we all want someone to find us attractive, but if they are not attracted to you for being who you are, then they aren't wrong, they just aren't. You will have to get over it. Not everyone will accept you for being trans, much less be attracted to you for it. You will have to get over it, you can only educate, you cannot make someone change their mind, that is something they have to grow into or not.

I like the show, it makes me uncomfortable in the right kind of ways. I like that I am seeing a mirror to my issues in a lot of instances. I like that her transgender friends or acquaintances are so much more educated and have such good insight into the world as a trans.

It is the more glamorized version of (and I have plugged this before) New Girls on the Block. It's no less, just different. I cry watching NGoB, it's such an emotional journey. I wish they would do a 2nd season, it's just such a great show, to follow these wonderful women on their journey, not being perfect or even rational sometimes, just being real women with real issues. With IaC, there is this veneer of displacement, an unreal feeling about the show itself. Anyway, I watch the show because there is precious little for transgender out there that allows you to see what it is like, what you may encounter.